Re: Name based virtualhosts with default

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Redalert Commander <redalert.commander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our configuration has the typical include of
"/etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf", it is here that the vhosts are defined in
separate files. Should the default also be placed in here or does it
have to be defined at the end of the httpd.conf (master) configuration
file?

It is currently my understanding that I should place it at the bottom
of httpd.conf; so to be sure it is that last that is matched, but I
would like to hear from someone with more knowledge and/or experience
about apache than myself.
I would prefer it to be placed in the conf.d folder if possible.

It might depend on which distribution you are using.
Some systems (Debian, for example) will always load the config files in alphabetical order, so the efault vhost is usually named 000-default to ensure it loads first.
I don't think you can guarantee that on other systems.

If you do decide to include the default vhost in the httpd.conf, you would need to put it before the line that includes conf.d

- Y