Re: Website access without initial www.

On 11/09/2013 18:46, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
Using Apache2.2.22 on a Debian7 server.
Hosting multiple websites, but have reduced it to just one for now to try
to figure out this problem.
So, if I go to: www.vostok1.com the website shows up.
HOWEVER, if I go to just: vostok1.com from outside our company network, I
get the error "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this
server."
 From inside the company network, however, it works fine.

Looks like a different server is answering the www one and the non www one.

Two requests made at the same time, come back with the following in the headers:

www.vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:27:17 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Vary: Accept-Encoding

vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:49:55 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding

Although the requests were at the same time (well, within a few seconds) the time in the response is different by more than 23 minutes. Also the second one did not include the server: header identifying itself as Apache.

Do you have some sort of device (firewall, loadbalancer etc) that is between your apache instance and the internet connection - this could be intercepting the requests and handling them differently.