apache 2.4

Is it the case that in apache 2.4 you must add a directory structure for every directory you want to access and then add explicit allow permissions for that directory?

For example, despite having added /usr/local/www to the apache config

<Directory "/usr/local/www">
    Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes -SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    AllowOverride All
    Require all granted
</Directory>

when I tried to access /usr/local/www/postfixadmin via a virtual host, I had to

<VirtualHost *:80>
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/postfixadmin
   <Directory "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin">
     Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes -SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
     AllowOverride All
     Require all granted
   </Directory>
etc...

before I could load the page.

Is this normal?

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a