Re: What is the correct way to configure one DocumentRoot that is available both with and without SSL for requests to all hostnames

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Anthony DeCusati <adecusati@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We would like to enable SSL but still be able to get to the server without SSL (same content served from both ports 80 and 443). We would like to use one SSL cert for all hostnames used to reach the server - so the server should be reachable from site5.company.com and site.othercompany.com, both using the same cert. We are okay with getting browser warnings when going to site5.company.com.
[[[ TRUNCATED ]]]
So if I understand, I should not need name-based vhosts.  Using the _default_ wildcard, I shouldn't even need to use the ServerName directive in each vhost, although it may be recommended to avoid DNS lookups.  However, I would prefer if I did not have to duplicate the same configuration twice (ports 80 and 443) for all possible hostnames just to add more ServerName directives.  It seems like there should be a better way.

I put the common configuration in a separate file and include it in the :80 and :443 vhosts.
<VirtualHost *:80>
Include conf.common/vhost1.conf
CustomLog "logs/vhost1_access.log" common
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
Include conf.common/vhost1.conf
CustomLog "logs/vhost1_ssl_access.log" common
SSLEngine on
</VirtualHost>

We have a configuration that seems to work for most clients (posted on Launchpad).  However, some are unable to connect over SSL.  It seems to be an issue specific to how SSL is implemented on Ubuntu 12.04.  I would like to clarify how this should correctly be configured.

I can certainly provide more information if it is necessary, including configuration files.  I appreciate any help you can provide.

 It would help to see more about your config. I have at least four servers on 12.04 and I have not heard from anyone having trouble.

- Y