WebDAV sort of works

I have the following structure in /etc/httpd/extras/httpd-vhost.conf (apache 2.4)

<virtualhost *:80>
  ServerName webdav.example.com
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/
  DavLockDB /tmp/DavLock.rotdav
  <location />
    DAV On
    AuthType digest
    AuthName Root
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/.htdigestpass
    Options All
    ForceType text/plain
    <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
       require user user1
       require user user2
    </Limit>
  </location>
</virtualhost>

I can connect and I see all the folders that are in /usr/local/www/ but if I open one of those folders, I don't get anything at all.

Now, the .htdigestpass file is pretty old, and was created based on instructions I can't find right now, but the format is user:hash instead of user:realm:0xHEX, if that matters. Like this:

user:$1$yjwfJ/..$5G0tjtmq854aoa0ZZzZMo/

In a file in /etc/httpd/users/ I have a nearly identical directive:

<virtualhost *:80>
   ServerName webdav2.example.net
   DocumentRoot /home/user1/Sites
   ErrorLog /home/user1/logs/dav-error.log
   CustomLog /home/user1/logs/dav-access.log combined
   DavLockDB /tmp/DavLock.u1
   <location />
     DAV On
     AuthType digest
     AuthName user1dav
     AuthUserFile /www/Covisp/.htdavpass
     Options All
     ForceType text/plain
     <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
        require valid-user
     </Limit>
   </location>
</virtualhost>

This htdavpass was created using

htdigest -c /home/mbutler/.htdavpass user1dav myadmin

so the htdavpass file looks like this
myadmin:user1dav:30b688d7ac...

On this webdav, I cannot connect.

The hash above is not hex code like the one from htdavpass.

Nothing (and I do mean *nothing* is logged to the dav-error.log, and nothing of the slightest use is logged to access.

--
You are twisted and sick; I like that in a person.