How to make Alias work even when omitting the slash

Hi,

Could you tell me how to make Alias work when omitting the trailing slash?

There is the following description in this article:
http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/high-performance-sites-rule-11-avoid-redirects-7209.html

> For example, going to http://astrology.yahoo.com/astrology results in a 301 response containing a
> redirect to http://astrology.yahoo.com/astrology/ (notice the added trailing slash). This is fixed in
> Apache by using Alias or mod_rewrite, or the DirectorySlash directive if you're using Apache
> handlers.

By default, /astrology (without trailing slash) results in 301 response containig a redirect to /astrology/, and /astrology/ (with trailing slash) returns /astrology/index.html without redirect.

Do you think the 'This is fixed in Apache by using...' means /astrology (without trailing slash) can return /astrology/index.html without redirect? If so, could you tell me how to do it? I've been trying to do it by using Alias, mod_rewrite, or the DirectorySlash directive, but I'm still looking for how make it successful.

I'm using 2.2.22 with Ubuntu 12.10.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Mai Nakagawa (中川 真以)
Retailigence Corporation