apache service interruption

My server has 4GB RAM and uses nginx as a reverse proxy to apache.  A
little while ago my website became inaccessible for about 30 minutes.
I checked my munin graphs and it looks like apache processes spiked to
about 29 during this time which is many times greater than usual.  I
have MaxClients at 30 and the error log verifies that MaxClients was
not reached.  The strange part is system disk latency shows a spike
during the interruption which is only very slightly greater than other
spikes which did not interrupt service.  System CPU, memory, and swap
usage don't show anything interesting at all.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Should I decrease MaxClients?

- Grant