Deny by IP address unsuccessful

Hello,

	I hope I'm in the right place for this question.  I'm trying to block undesirables by IP with .htaccess but I'm not having any luck.  I've read everything I can get my hands on, and it looks like I'm doing it right, but they still get through.  The worst culprits seem to come from a handful of IP's but they use a different referrer name every time.  I can't even block myself.

	Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Here's my code:

	<limit GET POST PUT>
		order deny,allow
		Allow from all

        # add my current IP address for testing
        deny from 69.26.218.10

        # Yandex bot
        deny from 87.250.254.242

        # http://www.backlinktest.com/crawler.html
        deny from 46.4.100.231

        # these IP's hit pages repeatedly within seconds
        deny from 74.90.190.22
        deny from 151.55.73.204
        deny from 174.127.133.138

        # Bots
        deny from 37.139.52.23
        deny from 46.118.119.252
        deny from 89.108.102.171
        deny from 91.207.4.186
        deny from 91.207.6.34
        deny from 91.207.9.226
        deny from 178.137.129.44
        deny from 193.106.136.
        deny from 195.242.218.133
	</limit>

	I've placed this section in different positions in the .htaccess, I've tried both deny,allow and allow,deny, but no luck.  Is it possible that some other section could be interfering with this section?

	Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
Angela