Re: Struggling with Reverse Proxy Configuration for Server with multiple subdomains

On 3/14/2013 11:15 AM, Ryan Merrell wrote:
> So a couple questions I have are
> 1) Is what I'm planning to accomplish even doable? I figured if it was
> I'd at least be able to find just one example out on the Internet, but
> I haven't been able to, which has created doubt as to whether I'm
> fully understanding how mod_proxy works.
Yes, absolutely.

> 2) If it is doable, what config changes do I need to make so it uses
> the hostname instead of the default vhost?
See question below - we can diagnose this with more info.

> 3) If I can get this part to work, am I going to have any problems in
> getting an Active/Passive load balancer set up?
I'm just verifying but do you mean an active/passive backend? If so,
that is trival to accomplish but you will need to use the balancer.

Your configuration example looks good. The most important directive is
the ProxyPreserveHost. Is there any way on the backend server to log the
host header received? It sounds like the backend has a name-based vhost
setup and my initial suspicion is that we're losing something on the way
there. Another helpful module in httpd is mod_dumpio which will show the
request as sent to the backend (but produces tons of logs).

Feel free to review/steal examples from this presentation as we get
closer to the balancer config:
http://people.apache.org/~druggeri/notes/ApacheConNA%202010%20Presentation.odp

--
Daniel Ruggeri