Re: Using PostgreSQL auth - user permissions

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Please see the message I sent a few minutes ago re: "Unable to open
logs" if you need more information about my system than I have included
here.

I have recently upgraded to Apache 2.4, suExec and dbd authentication
with PostgreSQL.  This is on a system with multiple users.  Here is an
example virtual host entry:

<VirtualHost 98.158.134.24:80>
    ServerName admin.occ4u.org
    DocumentRoot /u/WEB/Misc/OCC_Admin
    ServerAdmin webmaster@xxxxxxx
    SuexecUserGroup darcy vex

    DBDriver pgsql
    DBDParams "host=localhost dbname=occ user=occ"

I think the password for the user that connects to the DB should also be declared here like:

DBDParams "host=localhost dbname=occ user=occ password=some_password"

    DBDPersist off

    <Directory /u/WEB/Misc/OCC_Admin>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "OCC database Administration"
        Require valid-user
        AuthBasicProvider dbd
        AuthDBDUserPWQuery "SELECT raw(person_pass) FROM person \
                            WHERE person_login = %s AND \
                              person_active = 't'"
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This fails because the connection is made as nobody, the user that the
server itself runs as.  The database makes an ident call for occ and
fails of course.

Currently my solution is to either make the database trust any
connections from itself

You can make this "trust the local connections for SOME users including apache user". And additionally you can grant apache user select permissions only to the person table of the occ database.

or make the password files world readable.
Neither of these seems very secure.  I tried adding a User directive in
the virtual host but that just crashed Apache with a config error
sending me on a five minute reboot (Unable to open logs - see previous
message.)

Database connections from the web site are fine since suExec runs the
scripts as occ.  Is there any way to make the dbd connection run as occ
as well?

You can run apache as occ user.

Thanks for any help.

--