Re: htaccess file and computer names

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am using some htaccess files to control access to a few web pages.
>
> The htaccess file works if I use the ip address of the computer to grant
> access, but not its name.

If you want apache to be able to grant access based on computer name
you must be sure that revers DNS lookups for those machines works.
>From the point of view of the apache webserver all requests come from
an ip address. If you use a hostname in an access directive apache
will perform a reverse lookup on that ip address, and compares the
name it gets with the directive.
So what you first need to check is if reverse dns works.

Be warned however that having apache check dns with every request will
incur a performance penalty. However if convenience is more important
than performance this can be something that one can live with...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
krist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx