Decoupling of Proxy config?

Our primary vhost is getting pretty large, and a lot of it are ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse entries.

I was looking for a way to externalize them. I tried the following:

- Simply placing those directives externally
- Placing those directives externally and changing the first parameter from a relative url to absolute url (using servername)
- Placing them in a vhost with the same servername as main vhost in another file

But none of these worked. Either Apache would completely ignore them, or it would crash with "[error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting".

The mod_proxy documentation species the server config as a possible context for these directives, but gives no examples of them. Does anyone know if this is possible? And if so, what am I yet to try?