Re: Conflict between Alias, <Directory>, and RewriteRule hides local directory from Apache httpd?

See the first message in this thread for the httpd.conf and ledgersmb-httpd.conf files pertinent to the ongoing problem of an alias and rewrite directive not being processed as expected, and Apache httpd being unable to open a local directory to run a Perl file.

Progress of sorts. Commenting out

    #DocumentRoot "C:/Program_Files/Apache/htdocs"

caused the 404 Not Found error to go away, to be replaced by the much more interesting 403 Forbidden error, and giving this line in logs/error.log:

    [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: C:/apache

Ignoring the fact that httpd is actually installed in C:/Program_Files/Apache, could this error be caused because I commented out

    #User daemon
    #Group daemon

the default user written into the httpd.conf file by the Windows installer.  As far as I know services (daemons) on Windows do not run as users.  What say you?

On 29 January 2013 07:56, Hedley Finger <hedley.finger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 29 January 2013 00:55, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:39:06 +0100
Daniel Gruno <rumble@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Top posting, as this is a long email.
> Please see:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/rewrite/flags.html#flag_pt

Daniel: According to the PT flag documentation, when RewriteRule is defined inside a <Directory ...>, PT is automatically applied.  Still getting a 404 Not Found with PT actually specified.

Disagree.  This is a case of overcomplicating: there's no excuse
to play with mod_rewrite, and it's not even clear that the use of
alias isn't a sticking-plaster over a less-than-optimal
arrangement of the filesystem.

I know nothing about Apache httpd and .conf files. The ledgersmb-httpd.conf file is supplied by the developers as is. Installation onto Windows is complicated by having to translate Ubuntu instructions into their Windows equivalents. Not easy.

A pointer to DirectoryIndex (and perhaps FallbackResource)
would seem more useful.

Thanks.  I'll try to nut this out.

Now

    DirectoryIndex index.html login.pl

Can't see how to use FallbackResource when DocumentRoot is disabled. (Of course, it is going to have to be enabled again.)

Oh, and I'd be worrying about that mixing of cases introducing bugs.

Since httpd originally returned the "It Works!" page from C:/Program_Files/Apache/htdocs/ when http://localhost was entered into the browser, would changing case be going on.  My guess is that it isn't.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel: +61 3 9809 1229   Mobile (cell): +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hedley.finger@xxxxxxxxx>