forward proxy with SSL Termination

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a forward proxy that will terminate SSL connections. The idea is that Apache will sit between my internal network and the internet and proxy / inspect all HTTP/HTTPS traffic. I configured mod_proxy as a forward proxy and set my browser to proxy via my Apache instance. HTTP proxying worked properly but HTTPS only saw CONNECT requests and I was unable to inspect the actual requests/responses for encrypted traffic. I then setup a transparent forward proxy using iptables and reversed my browsers proxy settings, but now the requests are not formatted properly for the proxy (i.e. Apache sees GET / HTTP/1.1 instead of GET http://target.com/ HTTP/1.1). I tried rewriting the requests using mod_rewrite as follows but that did not work:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}       !-d
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [P]

How can I configure Apache to forward proxy requests while terminating SSL connections for inspection and then reencrypt the traffic?

Thanks,

Chris