Re: Need Help Configuring Virtual Hosts With DNS Aliases

You need only one VH really to handle both:

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin    devtoolsandcomponents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        ServerName     sdlcdevbal832
        ServerAlias    redmine redminetest

        RewriteEngine On

        # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster for redmine
        # Redirect the rest to 127.0.0.1:4000
        RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^redminetest$
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://redminecluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]
        RewriteRule (.*) http://127.0.0.1:4000$1
</VirtualHost>

I'm trying to do something slightly different than is described in the Apache documentation that I've read.  We have an internal Linux server that uses Apache as a load-balancer + URL redirector to a Redmine instance running a Thin web server on localhost ports 3000-3002.  We have a "redmine" alias that we are load balancing among these 3 ports with the following VirtualHost entry:

        <VirtualHost *>

        ServerAdmin    devtoolsandcomponents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        ServerName     sdlcdevbal832
        ServerAlias    redmine

        RewriteEngine On

        # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
        RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://redminecluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

        </VirtualHost>

        <Proxy balancer://redminecluster>
                BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3000
                BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3001
                BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:3002
        </Proxy>

However, we also have a separate test Redmine instance running on port 4000.  We created a "redminetest" alias and we want all URLs that start with "http://redminetest" to be redirected to port 4000 (no load balancing) while URLs that start with "http://redmine" to continue to be load-balanced on ports 3000-3002.  We created the following additional VirtualHost entry:

        <VirtualHost *>

        ServerAdmin    devtoolsandcomponents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        ServerName     sdlcdevbal832
        ServerAlias    redminetest

        RewriteEngine On

        # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
        RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://redminetestcluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

        </VirtualHost>

        <Proxy balancer://redminetestcluster>
                BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4000
        </Proxy>

Unfortunately, this did not work.  It resulted in URLs with both the "redmine" and "redminetest" aliases being sent to the load-balanced production instance.  Can somebody explain what we are doing wrong ?  The Apache documentation isn't clear about how the server matches VirtualHost entries and we've obviously done something wrong.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

        Kris