Re: mod_proxy unleashes hell on my server

Wow. Don't be a free anonomizing proxy for the Internet..

The suggestion about running a reverse proxy seems the best, but you
must not allow forward proxy for everybody ! If you have a fixed
internet ip, then this can make your fixed ip unusable, as once an
open proxy is detected once, hundreds of servers will keep checking to
see if it becomes open again.. perhaps for many months/years.

A forward proxy is usually a protected item, you only make it visible
from your local ip range, and you never mix a forward proxy with a
content server or reverse proxy as these are usually public to all, so
people can see your content.

The default config in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/proxy.conf is for your
protection, should be left, don't change it other to add one of your
private 192.168.0.x addresses.

But ideally don't mix a content server with a forward proxy.. it's bad news :)

Cheers
Brett

--
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Albert Einstein