Re: connectiontimout question

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Smith, Mitchell <mitchell.smith@xxxxxxx> wrote:
connectiontimeout

I would expect the timeout value for the particular worker or the ProxyTimeout to be increased and not the connectiontimeout. The connectiontimeout tells apache how long to wait for the connection to the backed to be established (helps if you have overloaded backend that can't respond immediately) wheres the timeout sets the time for which apache waits for the response from the backend to finish before closing the connection (helps with large files transfers or slow network or slow backend).

You are right that increasing the connectiontimeout value will have impact on the loadbalancing (if you are using one) since it will take apache 10 minutes (in your case) to realise that a particular backend is down. In the mean time new connections will be still sent to the crashed host so you don't want to do that so I would keep that value as low as possible.