Re: php libraries

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Ben Johnson <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/6/2012 3:56 PM, Norman Fournier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am upgrading my php from 4 to 5 on OSX 10.4. The upgrade docs pointed me to the Apache UNIX install guide. I uncommented the appropriate sections of httpd.conf but php 4x is returned with phpinfo.php.
>
> My question is where do I put the php 5 files in the OSX hierarchy? Or better, how do I upgrade? Apologies if this is off topic.
>
> Thank you.
> Norman
> ---
> www: http://www.normanfournier.com
> facebook: http://www.facebook.com/normanfournierdotcom
> linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=18127460
> youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/normanfournier

Unless you consider yourself to be an expert, and would prefer to
configure every element of your stack independently, I recommend that
you do yourself a real favor and install MAMP:

http://www.mamp.info

I would normally stay 1000 miles away, but this is a bit of a sore spot with me....if you plan on doing _anything_ outside of what MAMP provides, learn to compile your own stuff.  I've lost so many hours to supporting people(some of my dev staff) who thought MAMP was a great idea, but then wanted to do something slightly different and it took us days and ended up destroying MAMP and rebuilding, not b/c we couldn't get it working, but b/c it was a more sustainable option as more upgrades and updates were needed in the future, your development environment is never a "install once" world.  Personally, I compile everything on my iMac, but what about homebrew?

But to Ben's P.S - Upgrade first, then start installing...what ever your final decision may be, MAMP, compiling or homebrew.  Especially if you're moving from PHP4 to PHP5.

-Ben

P.S. Why you're using OS 10.4 is none of my business, but I won't be
surprised if that soon becomes a bottleneck for you with respect to
software availability.