Re: 500 status code responses, but the full/correct file contents are still sent to the user-agent

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Ben Johnson <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Might anyone know what could possibly cause Apache to return 500
> (Internal Server Error) status code responses *but still return the
> requested file's contents*?
>
> I have reviewed the application logic carefully to ensure that no header
> that includes the 500 status code is being sent from within the
> application. (I searched the entire source-code tree for the string
> "500" and confirmed that the string does not appear anywhere.)
>
> I posted a couple of weeks ago about intermittent 500 errors in Apache's
> access log, and noted that the response byte-lengths (the values
> immediately after the status codes in the log entries) matched the
> corresponding values when the status code was 200. In other words, it
> seems that Apache always returns the full/correct content, even though
> the status code is 500 intermittently.
>
> Any help troubleshooting this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Ben

What is the application written in? "500" could be spelt
"HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR", "HttpResponseServerError", etc.

If Apache produces a 500 error response, it looks like an Apache 500
error response, if it doesn't look like that, it is probably not
Apache generating it.

Cheers

Tom