Re: Locking Down httpd w/virtualhosts

On 10/24/12, Pete Houston <ph1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:38:39PM +1000, Nick Edwards wrote:
>> was hoping for a general cgi solution tha works the same, perhaps its
>> there and my google fu is failing me today?
>
> Something like sbox? http://stein.cshl.org/software/sbox/
>
>> If not, could this be a feature request, it can not be that much of a
>> resource issue as far as I can see since it already does this for php
>> module.
>> maybe  --with-suexec-docroot=/var/www  could be modified to stop upper
>> level traversals?
>> I am not a programmer so I have idea.
>
> I do not see any need to have this in core apache. There is already a
> DocumentRoot for non-CGI restrictions and if you want to impose similar

I beg to differ, apache is the web server software, it should be
responsible for things like this, certainly the CGI component, it
surely would not be too much more work for it to lock things down
above the document root for user access, it does it for web pages
already, perhaps apache developer could chime in with his or her
opinion on this? Maybe one of the mod_cgi devs could have a comment,
perhaps it is better suited to them.

sbox looks like  "just another wrapper", so, like works like suphp
etc, we are the mercy of some third party who may, or may not continue
to develop and fix exploits in it, modernize it for todyas compilers,
whatever, the last update to sbox was 2005.  and yes, suphp, like
phpsuexec have both had, in years not so long ago had not so good
reputation in security.

A gentleman I work with has told me he tried sbox back in 2006, he was
not impressed with its performance, perhaps this is why a project that
reports to be around for long time, has little been heard of, I don;t
know, but I would be hesitant to use an unknown third parts wrapper.