Re: Apache Query- RewriteRule

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM, vivek aggarwal <vicky007aggarwal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I h've observed that i am able to redirect from apache to Tomcat Application without using  "ProxyPass" attribute.

I just used  the following rewrite rule in place of     "ProxyPass /abc  http://localhost:8080/kdah "

Does that mean we can use rewrite rules in case we need to do redirect to tomcat or other applications in place of "ProxyPass" ????

Please help me in understanding the basic difference between rewrite rule & Proxy Pass property with regards to redirection

Your rewrite rule (as copied in your message) causes the request not to be proxied through Apache at all, it tells your browser to directly access localhost:8080.
The rewriter does have a proxy option if you specify the [P] flag at the end of the rewrite rule.
See this old discussion on this list: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200409.mbox/%3CFAB6A3A2CC5BDB448DADFA1C8C0752965F7578@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E