WebSockets and Asynchronous IO

Does Apache+mod_jk support WebSockets now?  If not, when will it?

Same questions for mod_proxy_ajp, though mod_jk was more robust last I compared the two and the focus of much more development energy.

Or does this work but only with mod_proxy_http? If so, that raises issues in that we want to be able to do authentication in Apache but not treat this as proxy authentication, etc -- logically speaking we want Apache treated as "the" web server endpoint as with mod_jk, not as a proxy. Also, last I checked mod_balancer's balancing was not up-to-snuff when compared to mod_jk -- its balancing was prone to getting really unbalanced.

Furthermore, there'd seem to be a difference between supporting WebSockets and doing so efficiently. Doing so efficiently would really seem to be for asynchronous mod_event like handling -- including on Windows and with SSL, places where no version of Apache has asynchronous request handling as I understand it.

Overall, I'm struggling to see how Apache continues to fit in a world with WebSockets and asynchronous IO playing a larger role. Java servlet engines and app servers are jumping on supporting this. We use Apache for load balancing over multiple Tomcat instances and for authentication, including its support for SiteMinder and other authentication plug-ins, so I really want to see it just handle WebSockets and asynchronous IO on all platforms and with SSL. If that's not in Apache's near-term future, however, that may force a re-think of Apache's role here.

--
Jess Holle