Re: SSL Client Certificates and CGI

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Mark Montague <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On October 1, 2012 14:58 , Tom Browder <tom.browder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Then something weird is going on.  "SSLVerifyClient require" should
>>> prevent
>>> any client from accessing the CGI programs unless it has a valid
>>> certificate.
>>
>> But, Mark, does that apply if the CGI programs themselves are NOT
>> located in the restricted area?
> 1. You have URI paths beneath which you require clients to present
> certificates in order to not get a HTTP 403 response.
> 2. You have CGIs, and you find that clients do not need to present
> certificates when they make requests for the CGI.
> 3. You say that the CGIs from 2 are not in the area in 1.
> 4. You observe that the CGIs from 2 are not protected by the requirements
> for 1.  This observation is what is expected, due to 3.
>
> The solution -- as far as Apache HTTP Server is concerned -- is

[1] > to move the
> CGIs into the area in 1, or, alternatively,

[2] >configure area in 2 to also
> require clients to present SSL certificates.

[3]> If you prefer, you can make client certificates optional for the area in
> which you have the CGIs (while still requiring client certificates for area
> 1), but

[4] then you'll need to modify each one of your CGIs to check to see
> whether a client presented a certificate for a given request, and, based on
> that plus other details of the request, have each CGI make an authorization
> decision regarding whether to respond with the requested content or whether
> to respond with an HTTP 403 "Forbidden" error.

Configuration [3] is what I have currently have.  I considered
configuration [1] originally but chose not to because of
recommendations to get CGI programs out of the DocumentRoot area.  The
solution in [4] is what I'm working on at the moment.

> If this doesn't answer your question, then I'm not clear on what you are
> actually asking, and maybe someone else can respond better.

That sums it up perfectly, and I appreciate the analysis.

Given a choice of configurations [1] and [3], which would you choose?

[1] would be easiest for maintenance, but some might not like the CGIs
under DocumentRoot

[3] might be better practice, but would require more attention (e.g.,
scripts to check that all CGIi programs have the necessary checks of
SSL certificates--that's what I'm working on)

Thanks, Mark.

Best regards,

-Tom