Re: output compression when host has disabled mod_deflate, mod_gzip and php_value auto_prepend_file

Thanks for your response Ben.

I did mean the user-agent caching. I guess I can control this using the PHP header output and hope the user-agent respects the header.

Penalties or benefits, depends which way you look at it I guess ;-)

Essentially I need to compare the cost of the two statements below assuming a 20K - 50K file

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="">http://my.domain.com/stylesheet.php?file=/path/to/stylesheet.css"/>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"href="">http://my.domain.com/path/to/stylesheet.css"/>

The first one uses a PHP file to get output compression (as described in my previous email - simply loading the file and returning it with compression using ob_gzhandler).
The second does the usual.

All things being equal, which one will load faster?

I can try and get a few tests running but I will hold off in case anyone here knows already.