Re: Transferring xhr messages between Apache and a Persistent Program

On 12-09-11 10:43 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

One step up would be to use FastCGI instead of CGI, which would leave
your request handler running as a separate process but which would
perform much better as there would be no need to create a new process
for every request it handles.  That might not require too many changes
to your code, depending on how it is structured.

We found we were out of our depth with fcgi. We were unable to make progress with fcgi because:
* of the paucity of documentation
* difficulty to getting any support
* it appears to block file access while it hang-waits for messages.
* we could not figure out how to debug the code with gdbserver and Eclipse/gdb.

Is there any way of checking for connections and accessing Apache sockets? Through a custom rolled apache-mod? Any good references that might be helpful?