mem_disk_cache not activated

I have problems getting disk_cache to work, and I am not able to see
why. I am running a SLES 11 SP2 server with the following virtualhost
config. SSL is enabled, as are the relevant modules (otherwise, Apache
would barf up an error).

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerName customer1.myhosts.com
        Include /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/wildcard.myhosts.com.common.include
</VirtualHost>

The include file has, among other things like SSL config, the following lines

## include start
<Location "/appserver" >
        ProxyPass http://backendserver.com:8180/appserver/1
        ProxyPassReverse http://backendserver.com:8180/appserver/1
</Location>

# Caching
CacheRoot   "/var/cache/apache2/"
CacheEnable disk /
CacheDirLevels 2
CacheDirLength 1

# more config regarding ssl - not relevant here
## include end

What I do not understand is why caching does not seem to be working? I
am running a command to time a really slow JSON service in the
following way:
time curl -k https://customer1.myhosts.com/appserver/slow_request?param1=fooBar
Before and after enabling cache, this request uses 7 seconds, so
caching does not seem to take place. How can I debug this to find out
what is happening?

I am following the guide at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/caching.html, btw, and looking at
the reference docs.