Deny access to all directory files BUT a certain suffix?

I see lots of examples of denying access to files in a directory with
a certain suffix, but I want to deny access to ALL files EXCEPT those
with one suffix (.html).

I have tried this (Apache 2.2.14):

  <Directory ~ ".*/private2">

    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +StrictRequire +OptRenegotiate

    SSLVerifyClient require
    SSLVerifyDepth 1

    # do NOT allow dir listings
    Options -Indexes

    # do not allow access to any but .html files
    <FilesMatch "(?!\.html$)">
      Order allow,deny
      Deny from all
    </FilesMatch>

  </Directory>

But I still can see the README.txt file I have in that directory (I
know most recommend not putting any files there that are not to be
seen).

I must have something messed up (probably the regex, but it does work
for me in a Perl script) but I don't know the correct way.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

-Tom