Dual apache2 installations: Ubuntu Package and Locally Built (All on a single server)

I have a good instance of apache2 running as an Ubuntu package on
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64-bit), but it's version 2.2.14.

I would like to use the latest Apache version and build it from
source.  Has anyone tried setting up a locally-built version of Apache
so as to be able to switch easily between the default
package-installed one and the locally-built one?  If so, I would
appreciate any hints, pointers, or "gotchas."

Note the requirement for one server.  And I don't want to run them
simultaneously, just be able to switch easily between the two.  I
think I can somehow make the switch by making a copy of the
"/etc/init.d/apache2" script and call it, say, "/etc/init.d/apache2.2"
and edit it to run #2 installation.  Then I rename the existing
"/etc/init.d/apache2" to "/etc/init.d/apache2.1".  Then I switch
between the two by:

  # apache2ctl stop
  # cd /etc/init.d
  # ln -sf apache2.1 apache2

or

  # ln -sf apache2.2 apache2

and

  # apache2ctl start

Of course the devil is in the details as there are some differences in
the default Apache2 set up (although with the Apache2 build
instructions we see that we can choose configure option "
--enable-layout=ID" where ID is "Debian").

The "Debian" option should make the situation somewhat easier, BUT,
will it overwrite existing configuration files?  It's not supposed to,
but has anyone tried to do this?

Best regards,

-Tom