Re: Re: How to enable file-uploads to HTTPD server, via WebDAV?

On July 12, 2012 8:23 , Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, figured out the reason.

I rebooted, and again I could NOT upload files.

I then disabled SELinux (via "sudo setenforce 0"), and voila !!!! I could upload the files.

Your solution removes SELinux protection from the entire system. If an attacker compromises any of the services you have running, they can use those services to do anything they want. SELinux prevents services from doing things that they are not supposed to do -- for example, if you are running MySQL and an attacker compromises it, SELinux will prevent the attacker from opening outbound IRC connections or from reading or writing files that MySQL is not supposed to access. SELinux will also notify you of this problem.

So a better solution is to keep SELinux enabled, but configure your system to permit Apache HTTP Server to do WebDAV. It's likely that you simply don't have your WebDAV directories in your filesystem labeled with the correct SELinux contexts. Look in your SELinux audit log (/var/log/audit/audit.log) and/or the output of setroubleshoot to find out what the problem actually is. The mailing list for your particular OS distribution can help you set up and configure things properly.

--
  Mark Montague
  mark@xxxxxxxxxxx