Apache modifies URL when offloading SSL

I've been searching archives and other forums, and though I've found others who have asked similar questions, I haven't found a solution yet.

I currently have an Apache server that sits behind a Squid Reverse Proxy. The Apache server runs two virtual hosts, a Joomla website and a WebDav directory for file sharing with customers. The Squid proxy serves several functions, including enforcing the requirement that any sensitive pages are served to the user over SSL.

When running unencrypted, everything works fine. Squid forwards the request to Apache and the response to the user. However, when the user tries to connect via SSL, things start to fall apart behind the scenes. I'll illustrate with a typical scenario:

- user enters https://www.mydomain.com/administrator to access Joomla administration page
- connection succeeds and user is presented with login page
- user enters credentials and submits
- apache changes the url to http://www.mydomain.com/administrator/...
- connection fails

In some cases, I can manually change the URL back and proceed to access most parts of the site.  Some functionality remains broken.  Moreover, this problem completely breaks WebDav access on Windows clients.

I've tried a variety of configurations on the proxy to work around or avoid the problem; however, I've had no luck. The optimal solution would be to find a way to keep Apache from rewriting the URL, but I've not been able to track down a configuration that accomplishes this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!