Re: Serving pre-compressed static content using httpd 2.2.x

Hi Chris,

All,

Replying to see if I can get a response. Anyone?

Thanks,
-chris

If I don't use content-negotiation, I can use mod_rewrite to fake it:
it's a lot easier to just look for Accept-Encoding and then do an
internal redirect to a pre-compressed file, especially since there's no
issues with language or other Accept-* headers confusing things.

<Directory "/path/to/css/files"
   Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
   RewriteRule test.css$ /path/to/css/files/test.css.gz [E=gz:1]
   Header set Content-Encoding gzip env=gz
</Directory>

This is great because the original file can sit there on the disk and I
can provide compressed versions of it to clients who can deal with it.
No changing URIs or anything like that.

Only problem is that setting the Content-Encoding header doesn't appear
to be working. When set unconditionally, it works, but when attempting
to use the "gz" environment variable, Content-Encoding doesn't seem to
be set.

I'd start debugging this detail problem. I'm pretty sure I got this working at least twice. using Apache 2.2.not_too_old.

So first check, whether the "gz" environment variable is actually set. For this add %{gz}e (and %{Content-Encoding}o) to your LogFormat. Also add a RewriteLog with a high RewriteLogLevel.

Note that I personally didn't use the rules inside a Directory block. I also prefer to add the .gz file suffix in front of the originsal suffix, so e.g. .gz.css instead of .css.gz, because that way Apache will automatically set the Content-Type header correct using the suffix list in the mime types file.

Regards,

Rainer