RE: Apache Configuration Cleanup Help

Well, it's a relief to know that our setup isn't completely wrong, however the fact the tutorials my company provides are super outdated is kind of depressing. Does anyone have any links to good up-to-date tutorials for administering Apache?

The problem I had that started this whole business was that I'm trying to install another virtual host by putting a link in the sites-enabled directory and linking it to a config file in sites-available. However the setup is getting confused by the default file in sites-available. The troubleshooting for the application I'm installing (ReviewBoard, if anyone is familiar with it), suggests getting rid of the default file, but when I do that the rest of the things we have hosted on that server crash. Is there a way to rename/relink or move that default file so that nothing changes on the front end? Or can I insert the contents of that file in one of the setup files maybe?

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Brown [mailto:keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:32 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Apache Configuration Cleanup Help

What you're seeing are the standard Debian/Ubuntu configuration files for Apache. The configuration is broken up across several files in an attempt to make administration simpler:

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf - main configuration file; usually not necessary to change; pulls in via the Include directive ports.conf, security, modules confs and loads, httpd.conf, and virtual host confs

/etc/apache2/ports.conf - interface/port-related directives like Listen, and NameVirtualHost if you're using name-based virtual hosts; very important

/etc/apache2/conf.d/security - security-related directives like ServerSignature

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf - main server directives e.g. ServerName that are not in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf; if you're not using virtual servers then most of the remainder of your configuration would typically go here

/etc/apache2/sites-available/<site> - directives for virtual host <site>

Not only is there a particular configuration file setup. But there are also scripts used to enable and disable modules and sites. E.g. a2enmod <module> creates a symbolic link to /etc/apache2/mods-available/<module>

It takes some getting used to, but this approach keeps things nicely segregated and is a big help in a complicated setup.

Cheers,
Keith

On 21/02/12 20:17, brittany.m.pearsall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I’ve recently inherited the administration duties of my team’s Apache
> server. I’m new to Apache, but I’ve been picking up as much as I can
> through tutorials and Google, and from what I can tell the original
> setup of our server is messy. Someone decided it was a good idea to
> configure the server to startup using apache2.conf, then use
> httpd.conf and ports.conf as secondary configuration files. I’d like
> to standardize our setup – to that end, I’ve taken a standard
> httpd.conf file from my company’s tutorial, merged in all our settings
> from the trio of config files and attempted to refresh Apache with the
> new file. It won’t start with the file named httpd.conf, it complains
> that there’s no apache2.conf file to read, but even if I name the file
> how the server expects I get errors that look pretty basic to me. For
> example, I get the error: “ Invalid command 'ServerType', perhaps
> misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server
> configuration.” I receive the same error for the UserDir property,
> among others.
>
> With the setup I’ve described, is there any way to figure out what is
> going on? Why it looks for the wrong file at first, and why it can’t
> recognize standard properties like ServerType? Am I missing pieces of
> the installation? Or should I just keep commenting out everything
> that’s causing problems? We’re running Apache version 2.2.14 on an
> Ubuntu installation, version 10.04.3.

> -- Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its
> affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content),
> may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the
> assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.
>
> www.accenture.com

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.

www.accenture.com