Re: unexpected EOF while looking for matching

Thank you for your persistence, which has paid off, and conquered my obtuseness.

So, apache doesn't invoke "sh". Neither does my code, explicitly. But when my script invokes a host command, the interpreter just hands the command to the default execution environment, which in this case is "sh".

I wrote a test command, called "quote", then tried to execute it incorrectly, in a script called "test_shell". The code in test_shell is:

"quote 'stuff"

... so the command passed to "sh" would be quote 'stuff and that generates exactly the error messages that I see. Debugging this will be simple, now I know what I'm looking for; the interpreter can raise an exception whenever a host command returns anything other than a zero return code. If you just know to ask it to do so.

I'm now looking forward with some excitement to the next occurrence of the problem. It's just a shame that they are quite rare.