Re: How to make Apache mod_deflate and Transfer-encoding : Chunked work together?

Hi William,

I have seen web sites forcing the chunked transfer-encoding as well as gzip content encoding. One of the biggest example is facebook. And facebook uses apache on linux.

Please refer this link on progressive rendering using chunked transfer encoding.

http://www.phpied.com/progressive-rendering-via-multiple-flushes/

If you search "big pipe" on web you will find plenty of references of using chunked transfer encoding.

Also apache does allow chunking if I don't enable mod_deflate module. Old mod_gzip module which was packaged with old apache 1.3 had an directive specifically for not dechunking.

mod_gzip_dechunk  No

So status right now is if i don't use compression on apache response is sent chunk by chunk.

Thanks
Sameer

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Of course. But the original question was, why is chunking not used, even when
> Content-Length was not sent? I don't know HTTP/1.1 enough to answwer this question, do you?

Yes; because the entire C-L is known and the overhead for C-L plus
fragment header/trailer is longer than a simple C-L header.

The original question was, "How do I force chunking".  The answer
is, you don't and can't expect to.  Chunking is a hop-by-hop
behavior over which you have no control by either endpoint of the
intermediate servers' elections.