rewrite engine shows text instead of executes script

To the best to my memory, the following .htaccess worked on linux, but
on OSX, the result is that the browser gives me the text of the
script, rather the output of the script.
FYI: The script is fully functional when requested via cgi-bin.

# .htaccess
RewriteEngine On
DirectoryIndex journalLoader.py
RewriteCond $1
!^(journalLoader\.py|images|css|js|robots\.txt|favicon\.ico)
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ ./journalLoader.py/$1 [L,QSA]
# /.htaccess

the script journalLoader.py is at the path
http://linus.johnson.com/cgi-bin/baker/journal/journalLoader.py
(internal search domain) and when requested provides the
output I expect.

The directory/folder contain journalLoader.py is symlinked to
my wwwroot directory.
When I point my browser to http://linus.johnson.com/journal
!!!!!!
The server gives me the text for the script rather than the output
!!!!!!
I'm woefully underinformed when it comes to .htaccess and mode
rewrite, but it occurs to me that if this works on a linux box and
not the the OSX platform, some configuration is need for Apache?
What would that be?

thanks
--
Tim