Re: What is the "correct way" for starting apache2 as a service in UNIX (Ubuntu)

"Ravindranath  M" <ravindranath.m@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Dear Apache team and other friends,
>
>     According to official Apache documentation, the correct way to start httpd
is to use apachectl.  When I start this way it works.  Since I am using Ubuntu,
I run it with "sudo"  prefix.  As a result it starts with root user's
privileges.

>     But for another software module (Reviewboard), which is supposed to use
apache web service, this is causing problems with respect to some file
permissions.  When posted to their forum, they advised me to use the following
command to start apache.

>     sudo service apache2 start|stop|restart
>
>     But the above command gives me errors, as below:
>
>     -----begin-quote-------
>     rvnath@rvnath:~$ sudo service apache2 restart
>     /usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/apache2: undefined
symbol: apr_os_uuid_get
>     Action 'configtest' failed.
>     The Apache error log may have more information.
>        ...fail!
>     -----end-quote-------
>
>     Searching through various forums and groups didn't help me much either.
>
>     My question is:
>
>     1.       What is the right way to start apache as a daemon service in UNIX
(Ubuntu)?

>     2.       Finally, when httpd is run, does it run as "www-data" user, or
some other user.  When I did a process grep (ps -ef | grep httpd), it shows me
that it runs with a user name called "daemon" instead of www-data).  So, is it
correct to say that apache runs as a "daemon" user and NOT www-data as claimed
by Reviewboard forums?

Ubuntu is based on Debian, the proper way to start/stop the daemon is by using
the script:

 /etc/init.d/apache2
{start|stop|graceful-stop|restart|reload|force-reload|start-htcacheclean|stop-htcacheclean|status}

The script will take care of the proper user/group for the daemon to start with.

--
Roel Wagenaar,
Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter; http://linuxcounter.net/

Men are proof that women can take a joke.