Authenticate/Authorize user based on group with apache and mysql

I am trying to get authorization to work on my apache installation. I
want to authorize depending on what group the user belongs to.

I am using

 - Apache 2.2.15
 - Centos 6.2 (Running as guest in VB)

My setup is working if I only want to authenticate/authorize based on the user.

Here is the significant part (I think...) of my httpd.conf:

    <Directory "/var/www/html">

        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

        AllowOverride None

        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "Restricted Files"
            AuthBasicProvider dbd
            Require dbd-group 1
            Require valid-user

            AuthzDBDQuery "SELECT group_id FROM groupsusers JOIN user
ON groupsusers.user_id = user.id WHERE groupsusers.group_id = 1 AND
user.users = %s"
            AuthDBDUserPWQuery "SELECT password FROM user WHERE users = %s"

    </Directory

AuthzDBDQuery doesn't work since, as I understand it, it is not part
of any stable version yet. This is the error message I get while
starting httpd:

           "Invalid command 'AuthzDBDQuery', perhaps misspelled or
defined by a module not included in the server configuration httpd not
running, trying to start"

My question is, how can I use groups for authorization when using
mysql for storing the groups? I guess it must be possible without
re-compiling apache? If not, please enligth med.

Any help that will point me in the rigth direction is appreciated.

Thanks!