mod_rewrite / mod_jk not working together

I have an established environment of Apache 2.2 and Tomcat 7.  I've had mod_jk working without problem for years.  I have a need to add some user-friendly URLs.  So I added mod_rewrite to the picture.

Here's the problem... I have a very simple rewrite rule that maps /test to /abc.jsp.  I have a mod_jk mount statement to send *.jsp to Tomcat.  When I send "/test" in, mod_rewrite does the mapping as expected. I looked in the rewrite log file.  The log file says it matches and converts. (I did a quick check and mapped to a jpg and did indeed get the mapped jpg back... so it appears mod_rewrite is working fine).  But when the request gets to mod_jk, it's the original URL - /test, which obviously does not match the *.jsp and therefore does not send to Tomcat.

I'm new to mod_rewrite.  So I'm obviously missing something.  I thought I could use it as simply a URL converter that sits in front of everything in Apache and maps one URL to another, and everything downstream in Apache (i.e. mod_jk) would see the mapped URL as if that was the URL that came from the browser.

So mod_rewrite works fine; mod_jk works fine.  They just appear to both be seeing the original input URL.

What am I missing?  How do I make mod_jk use the mapped URL from mod_rewrite?  (And send the mapped URL on to Tomcat instead of sending the original URL)?

Thanks

Jerry