Re: using htaccess on all hosts to block addresses

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Steve Swift <Swifty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think you'll have to put it in the documentroot of all of your
> virtualhosts. Since it would be so much easier to do this in the Apache
> config, I'll assume that you cannot do this for some reason.
>
> Second best would be to create the file in one documentroot, then use hard
> links to place it in all of the other documentroots.

No, when Apache is instructed to read .htaccess files (from an
appropriate AllowOverride section), it will walk up the directory tree
until it reach a directory that has AllowOverride None, or it reaches
the root.

Therefore, if you have /srv/http/site1/htdocs and
/srv/http/site2/htdocs, and you place a htaccess at
/srv/http/.htaccess, and /srv/http/siteN/htdocs is allowed to have a
htaccess file, then the following htaccess files will be attempted to
be loaded:

/srv/http/siteN/htdocs/.htaccess
/srv/http/siteN/.htaccess
/srv/http/.htaccess
/srv/.htaccess

'/' is normally marked 'AllowOverride None' in the base conf file, so
that wouldn't normally be checked.

As should be obvious, this is part of the reason why you are
discouraged from using .htaccess, it vastly inflates the work that
apache must do to serve a request. More info in the docs:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html

Cheers

Tom