installing in different directories than on the build server?

hi all,

I have a non-production server with a compiler to build Apache HTTPD, and a production server without compiler where it should get installed.
No superuser privileges, so the purpose is to build and install Apache somewhere under our user account's homedir.

On the non-production server where the compiling will have to be done, the target installation dir (homedir of the account being used there) is different from the directory and user account that will be used on the production server.

Has anyone a clue if we can make this install directory on the production server different from what has been specified during the building on the non-production server ?
Do I need to copy the build directory from non-prod server to prod server, and then hack some Makefiles ? Or will it be more complex than that?

thx in advance for any feedbacks
Rob