Apache 2.2.3 Session tracking with mod_session produces load error on module load

We are using Apache server 2.2.3 at work as our web server.  Currently I am tasked to track metrics for our website's content access. I am able to gather some information (client's ip, request type, uri, etc.) from the request_rec structure.

I also need to correlate "clicks" on the web site with their specific users.  For this, I am trying to use the mod_session module.  Since mod_session is built into Apache for versions 2.3 or later, in order for me to use it on our Apache 2.2.3 server, I tried to build it from source.  I use a build machine where I compile the source and then deploy the resulting ".so" file into the Apache server and change the httpd.conf file (adding LoadModule directive) to load the module, and then restart the Apache server to deploy the new module.

I've made it work for my own custom modules before, but when I try to do this process for loading the mod_session module, I'm getting the following error:

error: httpd: Syntax error on line 217 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so into server: /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_session.so: undefined symbol: session_module.

I don't know if there is a library that I'm supposed to load before I load this module. If you know the cause of this error, or if there is a better way to gather session information on Apache 2.2.3 please let me know.  Thanks for your attention.

Respectfully,

Pranesh