Re: Redirection

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 05:02:19AM -0700, aptach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Pete,
>
> Thanks for your reply. What would you use?

I would use Redirect as in the previous reply.

> The problem is, I have numerous articles created under an old CMS that
> I've moved to a new CMS. Google et al have indexed the old articles. Since
> the names (as well as the directories) have all changed, I'm left with the
> need to do a one-to-one redirection.

Equally, if there's no logical relationship between the old URLs and the
new, use a bunch of Redirect directives. For this situation be sure to
use 301 redirects.

Of course, if the relation between old and new could be expressed via an
algorithm then you could think about using mod_rewrite instead.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The other suggestion is simply don't redirect at all. The search engines
will swiftly pick up the new structure and index that (you can help by
providing google with a sitemap for instance), so the only concern is
individuals who may have bookmarked or linked to specific pages. Be sure
to construct an informative 404 page for them.

Good luck,

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107