Re: SSL certificates and virtual hosts

>   Our website account with our ISP has one fixed IP address and allows
> a number of virtual hosts. The main site has an SSL certificate for
> secure access. I wish to add another certificate for one of the named
> virtual hosts. According to Tech Support the account only allows one
> SSL certificate per IP address.

You can solve this problem by using a wildcard and/or multi-domain
certificate.  It's a single certificate that covers multiple hosts and/or
domains.  You can get them fairly cheaply, for example the "Verified (Class
2)" certificate from startssl.com.

We do this with a setup of 6 virtual hosts that include three hosts (dev,
test, www) in each of two different domains.  A single certificate covers
them all.  Apache writes an error message to the log about using SSL with
multiple virtual hosts, but the message is wrong and we ignore it.  It
works just fine.