RewriteLock: when is lockfile created

Hi all,

I'm having issues with synchronization when using mod-rewrite and the MapType pgr. Initially under load it works fine but after a while mod_rewrite get's confused and returns wrong rewrite-directives. I have read multiple posts online describing my exact experience and saying that the problem goes away when you start using the RewriteLock directive.

So I did and the warning I got before:  "[warn] mod_rewrite: Running external rewrite maps without defining a RewriteLock is DANGEROUS!" dissapears which looks good to me.
However - I have never seen the lockfile actually being crated and I even implemented a monitoring script using linux inotify so I know it's not been created and quickly deleted again.

So my question is: when is the file supposed to be created and what can I have done wrong so it isn't? I have tested all kinds of configurations. If you have a solid one which you know creates a lock-file I would love to test it.

I run on Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu).

Any help would be great

PS: My configuration:

RewriteLock /var/lock/apache2/rewrite_lock

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName www.xxxxx.se

        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteLog /var/log/apache2/rewrite.log
        RewriteLogLevel 0

        RewriteMap redirects prg:/opt/redirects.pl
        RewriteCond ${redirects:%{REQUEST_URI}|NONE} ^(.+)$
        RewriteCond ${redirects:%1}   >""
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !(^|&)proxy=
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ ${redirects:%1} [P]

        JkMount /* mymodjk
        RequestHeader set WL-Proxy-Client-IP "127.0.0.1"
        DocumentRoot /var/www/
        <Directory />
                Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks -Indexes -MultiViews
                Order allow,deny
                AllowOverride all
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/>
                Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks -Indexes -MultiViews
                Order allow,deny
        AllowOverride all
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined

</VirtualHost>