Re: Fw: favicon.ico

It is surprising that the installation of apache does not install a sample favicon.ico (the apache "feather", perhaps).

On 14 October 2011 14:34, Mark H. Wood <mwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On one hand:  favicon.ico must be readable by the process which runs
the web server.  Check the ACL on that file.

On the other hand: it is not an error if favicon.ico does not exist.
That's the small image which is typically displayed just to the left
of the URL entry field near the top of the browser window.  If there
is no favicon, the browser just leaves the space blank or substitutes
a default.  Your actual problem is somewhere else.  Check the ACLs on
the other files in htdocs to ensure that httpd can read them, and also
check all of your Allow and Deny commands in httpd.conf to ensure that
your client machine is allowed access to the page you requested.

You may see other errors in the log which will help you to pin down
the actual problem.  Favicon is not it.

> > A message in the archives said no problem just add the folder favicon.ico
> > to the tree. Tried that but it still would not recognize the folder and I
> > get the same

Woops, I read this again.  favicon.ico is not a folder; it's an image
file.  Find more than you ever wanted to know here:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk