Re: mod_cache is caching content with Cache-Control: private response headers

I think I have this figured out, but am interested to know if this is
a bug or expected behavior.

So I had Spring add a Cache-Control: max-age=600 header in the
configuration.  I was also adding a Cache-Control: private header in
the Java code in a specific place, more or less for testing.  I could
see both headers come through on Firefox and Chrome, but mod_cache
refused to obey the private header and would cache that request.  I
took out the automatic spring stuff and just added the private header
in my code.  My gosh, it worked!  Mod_cache would NOT cache that
specific request, exactly what I wanted.

My thought is that two Cache-Control headers were coming through and
mod_cache obeyed one or the other, not both (and it happened to not
obey the private one probably because of the order).

Does this sound feasible?  Bug?