Can Basic authentication (or equivalent) ask a script to perform the authentication?

Hi all,

We have a largish application written in Python / MySQL running under
Apache 2.2.x + mod_wsgi (Ubuntu 11.04).

Part of the application requires us to deliver large number of
documents to each user. Problem being each user has different levels
of access (based on roles they have in an application).

I hate the idea of having my app generate .htaccess files (like what a
lot of popular CMSes do), or streaming the file through a script
(would undermine performance).

I have looked into using mod_auth_mysql which could do the
authentication part, but authorization would be an issue due to the
complex rules of our app.

Is it possible to configure Apache to ask a script to perform the
authentication / authorization but allow Apache to serve the content?

Thanks.