Could Apache login support CAPTCHA and lockout?

We have bunches of web applications which use the regular Apache login protection, and they won't run unless REMOTE_USER is set by the Apache login.

<Limit GET>
require valid-user
</Limit>

<Limit POST PUT DELETE>
require valid-user
</Limit>

AuthName O-Visitor
AuthUserFile /usr/appl/cgi/.htpasswd

AuthType Basic

Looking at improving security, it would seem that it would be much harder to conduct brute-force attacks on these systems if we could configure Apache login to do two things:
A. Present the CAPTCHA style validation prompt as part of the login, to make it difficult for scripted attacks to proceed;
B. Lockout an individual username in the .htpasswd file after X failed login attempts.

Are there flavors of linux apache which have modules to provide this?

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd