Re: apache analysis

On September 20, 2011 11:05 , "Amira Othman" <a.othman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to install software on my server to analyze traffic served by apache and check performance. what software should I use??

I am using httpd-2.2.3-53.el5.vm on CentOS 5.6

For analyzing traffic, the answer depends on what you want to know. Once you know what information and metrics you are interested in, you can select a software package that meets those needs: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_web_analytics_software

For performance, are you more concerned about the performance of Apache HTTP Server, or what end users perceive as performance?

In the case of the performance of Apache HTTP Server, you'll want to follow the tips in the documentation ( https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/perf-tuning.html ) and then monitor things such as CPU load, amount of available memory, and network bandwidth; a large number of system monitoring tools are available for this ( sar, rrdtool, Nagios, HP SiteScope -- for a list of others, see https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comparison_of_network_monitoring_systems ).

Alternatively, if you are concerned about end user experience, then you not only need to tune the performance of your server and monitor it to make sure everything remains OK (see above), but you also need to analyze and optimize the content you are serving. From https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Web_Performance_Optimization "[Until] recently it was believed that page load time was determined by the server; however research at Yahoo and Google prove otherwise. It is now accepted that 80-90% of load time issues occur at the front end [that is, in the web browser] and web performance optimization is critical." Useful tools in this case are the Safari web browser's Web Inspector tool, and the YSlow addon for Firefox ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yslow/ ).

--
  Mark Montague
  mark@xxxxxxxxxxx