Re: httpd-vhosts.conf using include

On 2011-09-06, at 1:30 PM, Steve Swift wrote:

You can arrange them any way that you like. The include statement includes the referenced file(s) at the point where it is encountered. You could expand all of this out, and create a single httpd.conf file, and it would work exactly the same. Or you could have an include statement for every line in your config, with each included file containing just one line.

The include mechanism makes it easier to manage, is all. Things I use "include" for:

1. You can remove "stuff" fron your config by commenting out the "include". So if you add a new Vhost, and define it in a new Include file, then you can remove it with a very simple comment character if it causes problems.

2. It allows you to replace identical sequences of statements in two or more places, for example, you might apply some common ScriptAlias statements across multiple Vhosts (for example, "Scriptalias /test /var/www/cgi-bin/text.cgi" might be useful in all of your Vhosts. If you add it using "Include", then a single change to the include file will update all of your virtualhosts.